Saturday, May 19, 2012

5-13-2012 to 5-19-2012



What a thing it is to have friends.

I haven’t been here very long and already my social calendar is full to overflowing. I’ve been so busy in fact that I’ve neglected this journal. So, I’ll attempt to catch up with this entry.

I’m staying with Sameer and Kristin while I’m here. About 6 months ago little Ajay was born and I became Uncle Jack. I haven’t seen the munchkin since November and wow, he’s grown. Oxytocin is a hell of a neuromodulator, as I have this sudden, overwhelming urge to be a father. My conscious mind knows better, but try telling that to the nonapeptide let loose from my pituitary gland to overwhelm my senses. 



Angus and Karen invited me over to The Freaky Tiki® (patent pending), for an evening of pizza, laughter and reminiscing. Makai and Skot were there as well; a welcoming party of sorts. I was amazed how quickly I fell back into the rhythms and cadences of friendship with all of them. Here is a group of people I haven’t seen in four years, yet it was though we’d just seen one another last week. The evening came to an end far too quickly and I delayed leaving for as long as I could. I haven’t that much time here in Monterey, but I plan on seeing them all again as soon as possible. I’ve had to miss out on two outings already because of other commitments which came up suddenly, but I still have some time left to rectify that.

I got to hang out with Henry as well this last week. We had a blast, some coffee, went for a walk, and wrote a song; all within the space of about three hours. Henry became the caretaker of our old cat, Mr. Grey, when we went to St. Kitts in 2008. We couldn’t take the furball with us and Henry offered to take him in. Now, they are thick as thieves and Grey has become so friendly as to be unrecognizable.

I also spent a lovely morning with Melanie. We had some coffee and chatted about times gone by. I suppose that time and distance had something to do with it, but I had forgotten how much I love this area and the people who reside here. Being able to walk back into my life has been eye-opening and refreshing to say the least.

Ajay sounds a little cranky, so I think it might be time for a bottle and a nap. I’ll write more soon.



-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment