Friday, May 11, 2012

5-10-2012



Colorado Springs is not a bad place to have a mild breakdown.

A few days into my trip was about as long as I could avoid thinking about all the crap piling up in my life: Newly-single life, the divorce, a job, and the fact that everything I own is in the back of the truck.

Today, I was flogging myself with memories from my marriage and that fact that it’s just about over. I decided to stay overnight to try and straighten myself out. The view is tremendous here, just like in Boulder. Every which way I look seems to full-to-bursting with mountains and color. I felt the same way driving in to see Greg and Lukas. I think living in the desert for a while has deepened my appreciation for the landscape.

I’ve got to be in Fargo in four days, so I’ll head out tomorrow morning. Hopefully, I can meet Rhoda for breakfast after her shift. It’ll be nice to see her again; then, on into Nebraska and then South Dakota before I stop for the night.

I can’t help but think about certain events in the last 15 years or so, and I wonder how much of it was simply theater; no emotion behind any of it. I think I’m in the “Where the fuck did that go wrong?” portion of the divorce. The few books I’ve flipped through on the subject talk about this stage, only with different names.

These slightly masochistic daydreams are not good for my mental health, but I indulge them anyway.

I don’t have anyone else to visit before my job interview, so I’ll only have myself for company. I’m hoping the drive will distance me from my own bullshit, but I’m pretty sure that’s magical thinking.


I don’t think I’ve ever been to Nebraska.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’ve been having some humility lessons in the job area. At this point, I’m doing my best to put my ego aside and look in different areas. It’s actually paid off a little already; interviews in Fargo and Bethel already.

The Fargo interview went well. It’s a Neurosurgery job and I’ve got some experience in that area. I got a call saying I was in the running with two other people. Given that I’m new to the nursing arena, I probably won’t get it. The other folks in consideration have more experience than I do. Still, fingers crossed, right?

The gig in Bethel sounds amazing. It’s an outpatient job in the primary care clinic. The hospital is owned by the Yukon-Kuskokwim Tribal Council and serves 56 different tribes in central Alaska. The coverage area is 75,000 square miles (about the size of Oregon).

Bethel is about 400 miles from Anchorage and only has a population of about 6,000, so this would be truly rural medicine. I really developed an appreciation for rural nursing after being on St. Kitts and in Eastern Kentucky. I never knew I would love that aspect of medicine as much as I do.

We’ll see, I suppose. Here’s hoping.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment