Friday, May 11, 2012

5-11-2012

Team Devastation was reunited today. Celak Lives. I know that doesn’t make any sense, but it’s awesome nonetheless.

I’m in Provo, Utah and I just got back from lunch and a movie with my little sister (from another Mister), Celeste. I haven’t seen her in almost two years. We were fast friends when we got to St. Kitts. She shared my love of Family Guy and stupid movies. We could have entire conversations using nothing but quotes from cartoons. This was a source of bewilderment and hilarity for our friends, most of whom didn’t know what the hell we were talking about.

Today, we had a “truly Utah lunch” according to Celeste, then went to see Dark Shadows. The movie wasn’t that great, but heckling the film made up for it. The Caribbean Cinemas on the island was our most frequented hangout and we heckled films there all the time. No one ever minded because they were either talking on their cell phones or doing untoward things in the back row.

We reminisced about torturing our English friend on the Fourth of July (Down with Tyranny! Down with the Queen!) and general mischief we got up to on St. Kitts. It was a proper visit, but still not enough time to truly hang out. It was still great to see her. Until next time, Lady-Dude!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m off to Reno tomorrow. I don’t have any particular destination in mind; I just think it’ll be a good place to stop for the night. I’ve driven 2700 miles thus far and I have about 1200 to go. I’ve been making good time, though; about 700 miles a day. All those Critical Care Transport shifts on the ambulance certainly trained me for long days driving.

I use far too many semicolons. I just noticed that.

I still haven’t heard anything about the Alaska job, but the woman who interviewed me said it might be a few days. Part of me really wants to go there. My parents lived there for about 8 years and I always loved to come and visit them. Besides, Alaska is full of people starting over. Maybe that’s the best place for me at this point.

No news on the divorce front. As of now, our marriage is over June 28th. That may change as things unfold, but I hope it doesn’t. I’m tired of floating about in ether of uncertainty. Moving on is difficult when I seem to get dragged back into the past every other day.

I could lie and say that I’m getting used to being alone. I lie about that to myself sometimes. I haven’t had any success thus far, but if anyone can delude themselves into thinking it one of these days, it’s me. I find myself not speaking for 95% percent of my day on this trip. An occasional “Thanks” when I buy a soda and the back-and-forth necessary to check in to a hotel, but other than that, nothing. The latent Zen Buddhist in me says that maybe silence is what I need right now; silence and reflection.

I guess the answer(s) will come in time. I hope so, anyway.


-Jack

2 comments:

  1. Ditto to Ang's comment. You are missed around here, dude. Things are changing everywhere and cool new flowers are blooming. Come see us one of these days!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete