Monday, May 14, 2012

5-13-2012



What a difference a day makes. I settled into Monterey and I’m already happier than I’ve been in the last two weeks.

Sameer and Kristin are letting me borrow their guest room while the hunt for gainful employment continues. Not only am I thrilled to see them and spend time with them, I also get to resume my uncle duties with Ajay. I’ve rarely come across such a happy and inquisitive baby. Of course, the prospect of spending this much time with a little one is going to reawaken my paternal instincts. At some point, married or not, I’d like to be a dad.

I stopped by my old hospital to see some friends today. It’s only been a few years since I left for St. Kitts, but so much seems to have changed. I will get to catch up with folks during my time and that makes me happier than I can say.

After my visit to the hospital, I met up with one of my best friends, Henry, for coffee and a jam session. We joked about our shared musical affliction, G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), and wrote a pretty neat tune. Hopefully, we can lay down a demo while I’m here. It’s been years since we’ve written a song and I forgot how well we work together.

Tonight should be fun. I’m headed off in a little while to have dinner with friends that I haven’t seen in years. I’m not sure what’s on the menu or even how many people will be there, but I’m excited nonetheless. This return to California, however brief, is exactly what I needed. Distance relationships, either with lovers or friends, are always difficult. There is something so comforting about being able to give someone a hug and laugh together in the same room.

I have a feeling that most of my days will be filled with visits, meals, coffee, and conversations; I can’t wait.

-Jack

2 comments:

  1. How does one book an entry on the calendar?
    - Steve (and why can't Blogspot figure out who I am from the Google account)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you're so skinny, go have another one of those amazing brownies in Carmel!

    ReplyDelete