Friday, June 8, 2012

6-8-12


31,680 feet. That’s how much paved road there is in Bethel.

Talk about a change.

When I was doing my research before moving to the tundra, I came across this interesting factoid: “Bethel, Alaska has more cabs per capita than any city in the United States.” There are 93 cabs for a population of just over 6,000.

I’ve been patronizing said cab companies all week. I live (temporarily) on the outskirts of town and I’ve had orientation at the hospital since the day after I arrived. I’ve made fast friends with one of the Albanian drivers, Tony. He always seems to be close by when I need a cab and he always has a story to tell.

Today, we talked about Prague and Krakow. Not so much about the cities, but the gorgeous women who populate them. He told me that I need to spend a few weeks in Eastern Europe and “find yourself a supermodel.” Seems like sound advice to me.

I’ve been pondering what my next relationship will be like. Like Louis C.K., I feel that I know too much to be single. I’m not sure I possess the optimism necessary to go into a relationship without worrying about what might happen.

I’ve been quite surprised about the number of my female friends who tell me that I’ll have no trouble at all. I’ve always considered myself to be quite awkward around the opposite sex, but I think that my being married for as long as I was gave me a different viewpoint. I haven’t been speaking to any women from an “I might be able to date her” perspective. This has given me a chance to get to know women on a more personal level, not instigated by lust or desire. So, how will I fare when I finally dip my toe back into the dating lake? To say that time will tell seems like a cliché, but I suppose it’s a cliché I need to embrace.

Not that this will be happening soon by any means. I still have quite a bit of work to do on myself before I attempt something as grand as this. Still, I think it’s a sign of acceptance, healing, and moving on that I’m even thinking about it in the first place.

My name is Jack. I love spending a rainy day with a good book. I appreciate good wine and I believe that there’s a special hell reserved for those who waste good scotch. I’d rather go for a hike than to a club, and I think time spent together is time well spent.

Would you like to get to know me?



Jack

2 comments:

  1. Yes I said yes I will yes

    Or at least, I won't waste your scotch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Scotch on the rocks acceptable? Or blasphemy?

    ReplyDelete